Historic Craig Farm
John Craig, Esquire and several of his sons fought in the Revolutionary War battles that occurred in the vicinity. The current Craig House dates from the early 1830s, and was originally a federal-style farmhouse. In 1901, it was significantly enlarged with a Victorian front addition by John Edgar and Amanda Drennan Craig, who were married in 1883 at Kilburnie, then the residence of the Drennans. Craig House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Craig Farm today consists of close to 400 acres, owned by the five siblings of the current Craig generation and Johannes Tromp, and is operated as a cattle farm by Bill Craig, the twin brother of Kilburnie partner John Craig. Bill is also a skilled cabinet maker, and fine examples of his workmanship are scattered throughout Kilburnie and Craig House.
Judy Sanwald-Craig and her husband Roger Sanwald also contributed to the home by handcrafting a period gilded picture frame for a portrait of Benjamin Franklin which now hangs in the drawing room of Craig house. To see a video of them crafting the period frame click on this link:
|